Google’s military AI work has triggered another internal protest, as René Mayrhofer, Director of Android Platform Security, resigned over the company’s decision to provide AI capabilities for classified U.S. defense networks.
TL;DR
- Google Director René Mayrhofer resigned over the company’s Pentagon AI deal.
- He criticized Google’s leadership for moving away from earlier AI ethics commitments.
- The U.S. Department of Defense has agreements with Google and other major AI companies for classified network deployment.
- Google says its approach supports national security responsibly, with restrictions around autonomous weapons and mass surveillance.
Google is facing fresh internal backlash over its military AI work, after René Mayrhofer, Director of Android Platform Security, resigned in protest of the company’s agreement with the U.S. Department of Defense.
According to Business Insider, Mayrhofer circulated a farewell note titled “Google Management Has Lost Its Moral Compass,” where he said his resignation had become “unavoidable” after Google signed an agreement allowing the Pentagon to use its AI models for classified work.
Mayrhofer, who described himself as a pacifist, wrote that he would not personally work for militaries engaged in offensive warfare. He also criticized what he saw as a lack of internal debate, saying such decisions were being made by top-level management without transparent communication across the company.
The resignation follows the U.S. Department of Defense’s May 1, 2026 announcement that it had entered agreements with eight frontier AI companies, including Google, OpenAI, Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, NVIDIA, Oracle, Reflection, and SpaceX. The Pentagon said these companies would deploy advanced AI capabilities on classified networks for lawful operational use.
The department said the AI tools would support classified environments including Impact Level 6 and Impact Level 7 networks. It added that its GenAI.mil platform had already been used by more than 1.3 million personnel, generating tens of millions of prompts and deploying hundreds of thousands of agents within five months.
However, Google employees had raised concerns even before the deal became public. More than 600 Google workers reportedly signed a letter urging CEO Sundar Pichai to reject the use of Google’s AI technologies for classified military purposes. The letter warned that AI systems could centralize power, make mistakes, and be used in harmful ways, including mass surveillance and lethal autonomous weapons.
The dispute also revives questions about Google’s evolving AI principles. Google’s earlier 2018 AI commitments included language against using AI for weapons and certain surveillance applications. The company’s updated AI principles now emphasize responsible development, human oversight, risk assessment, privacy, safety, and alignment with international law, without the same explicit wording from the 2018 version.
Topics for more insights:
Google has defended its approach to government AI work. A Google spokesperson told Reuters, as cited by The Guardian, that providing API access to its commercial models with industry-standard practices and terms represents a responsible way to support national security.
Still, Mayrhofer’s resignation shows that the debate inside Google is not only about whether AI should support defense missions. It is also about how much employees should know, how much say they should have, and whether the company’s current AI safeguards are enough for classified military use.



